Wednesday, January 4, 2012

"An Omelet"

They exist separately-Eggs. Potatoes. Cheese, et al.
But just as individuals come together to form a team,
So to do these ingredients come together to become an omelet.

As the cold wind blew outside I sat in the restaurant-warm and content.
Simply enjoying sitting inside, being out of the cold and enjoying my food.
The restaurant was sparsely filled.
Closing time was nearing.
But with fewer customers it made the restaurant not so much less noisy

As easier to hear other’s conversations.

A man and a woman sit in the booth next to me.
They chat about their university classes.
A mom and her child sit at the back wall having a late lunch.
The daughter seems more interested in playing with her food.
Her mother appears preoccupied with something she is reading.

A woman sits alone at a table across from me.
She sits perfectly straight.
Her feet firmly planted on the floor.
She does not look around; neither does she look at her food.
She eats and looks straight ahead.
As if she had an unseen drill sergeant standing over her.

My omelet is warm and the steam rises from it as I cut into it.
The potatoes spill out with the cheese oozing out slowly over them.
As I pull the omelet apart small round and clear clusters fall out.
They look like cut up onions.
It lies in front of me-cut in half.
Like a gutted animal lying on my plate.
Its sides are beefy and full with meat and vegetables.
Just as an animal carcass may lie on the ground.
Split open, warm, steam rising from the incision in its belly.
Its organs and entrails lying on the ground.
I see ham, potatoes, onions.
Cheese drips from the incision I’ve made in the center instead of blood.

I look at the omelet for a moment.
As I smell the ingredients-the cheese, potatoes, ham and eggs
My mouth begins to salivate anticipating how it will taste.
As if I were the hunter who just killed a deer I dig into the omelet heartily.
It doesn’t stand a chance as I devour it.
As I sit there and eat I wonder if anyone is aware
Of how I’ve attacked the defenseless omelet.

As I finish my meal I notice that one by one each table finishes its meal
And leaves the restaurant.
Spilling out into the world to go about their business.
Like the contents of my omelet that spilled out when I cut into it.
The people go out.
The restaurant having been the protection from the elements.
Sheltering us like the hide of a deer protects its insides.
Just as the deer meat is taken from it and used to nourish us.
We take it in and go forth.
Just as we must now leave the protection of the restaurant.
We become part of a new life to nourish others.
Family, friends, new conversations another story.
Just as our food was taken in and became part of us.

Wednesday, December 05, 2007