Well the latest version of movie mayhem and madness by the Coen brothers has arrived here in Michigan. I’ve already heard mixed reviews from the TV celebrity-movie critics, as well as some negative reviews online. The simple answer as to whether you should see the movie or not is found in a set of questions. Ask yourself whether you’ve seen previous Coen brother movies and if the answer is yes then ask yourself if you’ve enjoyed them. If the answer to this second question is yes, then ask yourself why you’ve not yet gone to see it!
It’s been a while since I’ve seen one of their movies, Fargo is still my favorite of theirs, and so I’m sure I’ll be accused of simply getting on the small band wagon that is out there to say, “Yay the Coen Brothers made another film!” But this wouldn’t be an accurate representation of my interest and like in the film. It has similar qualities to Fargo-such as, they both have a very graphic renditions of people being “liquidated” [come on who uses the word “kill” anymore?] They both have very few total people removed from the film with prejudice! [Ok yes I’m thinking of trying to parody the act/word as much as possible in this blog]
Frances McDormand is in both-though she plays very different characters-her character in this latest film reminds me of Steve Buscemi’s character in Fargo. Both are a bit of a weasel and looking for the easy way out-Buscemi with an easy score with a kidnapping and McDormand with having elective plastic surgery over working out!] Both are a bit promiscuous-Buscemi’s having sex with a prostitute at a truck stop and McDormand is picking up guys off the internet and having sex on the first date!
Besides the reminiscent sense of Fargo that I just discussed Burn after Reading has interesting scenes at the nation’s top intelligence headquarters-Langley, Virginia. The movie starts and ends there, but what I thought was so hilarious is the callous way in which they treat and deal with people who have met their maker prematurely. JK Simmons plays the CIA Supervisor in such a deadpan over the top way-much like his previous character roles in Juno, Spiderman1, 2 and 3 as well as Thank-You For Smoking.
Overall this film moves quickly and does have an interesting-and semi believable plot. Two idiot gym employees find a cd with what appears to be sensitive information on it. They try to sell it and get into more trouble than they’d expect. Again-if you’ve enjoyed previous Coen brother’s films I would recommend you view it.
Burn After Reading [2008]
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0887883/
Burn after Reading-Working Films Production
http://www.workingtitlefilms.com/film.php?filmID=112
Fargo [1996]
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116282/
Wednesday, September 17, 2008