I saw the most recent Will Smith film this evening-I
am Legend- and I found it to be very good. I also
found it to be depressing. The story line is that
Smith is a scientist who is also a soldier in the US
Army-he plays Lt.Col.Robert Neville-and a deadly virus
has broken out in the US and all across the world. It
starts with Emma Thompson being interviewed by a CNN
like reporter about her recent discovery and ability
to cure cancer by changing the measles virus into a
useful tool. The next set of scenes indicates that the
virus Emma Thompson created had apparently morphed
into a deadly virus that turned the 1009 people who
were part of her clinical trials-and who they believed
had been cured of cancer-into wild, crazy, rabid like
creatures that had lost all their humanity.
The movie is really very good and presents an
interesting plot. The movie is set in NYC and Smith
spends the entire movie in NYC on the borough of
Manhattan. I do not know how they managed to make
Manhattan look as desolate and over grown as they did.
The city that never sleeps couldn’t possibly have
taken a break so long to let Smith and the movie crew
shoot in Times Square, the south side seaport and on
the Intrepid, but it looks just like Smith is living
alone in Manhattan. I was amazed by the footage and
impressed as well as it seems so real. Also, Smith is
the only human actor-not meaning to ignore the acting
ability of Samantha his dog-on screen for an hour or
more in this film. He portrays an ambitious, focused
and lonely scientist quite well. We also learn through
seeing Smith’s flashbacks much of what lead up to
where he is now and why things are the way they are.
Smith’s emotion also is obvious-but not over played-
as it leads him to his decision to avenge as best he
can the death of his best and only friend in the
movie. His acting also makes it clear why he chooses
to exit the movie as he does-to defend the cure he has
found and to leave it in the hands of those who have
hope for the world.
This is a good movie and one to see either in the
theater or on DVD at home later. Smith may have a
chance at an Oscar nomination with his performance,
but it may be difficult as there are other very good
performances that will compete for a nomination. Plus
this may be seen more as a sci-fi movie versus a drama
despite the emotion that is conveyed by Smith
throughout and how well he conveys his slowly losing
the ability to discern between reality and what may be
imagination. However you may view the film, as sci-fi
or as drama, it is one to see.
I Am Legend (2007)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0480249/
I Am Legend (2007) Yahoo! Movies
http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1809768369/info
I Am Legend
http://iamlegend.warnerbros.com/
Wednesday, December 19, 2007
am Legend- and I found it to be very good. I also
found it to be depressing. The story line is that
Smith is a scientist who is also a soldier in the US
Army-he plays Lt.Col.Robert Neville-and a deadly virus
has broken out in the US and all across the world. It
starts with Emma Thompson being interviewed by a CNN
like reporter about her recent discovery and ability
to cure cancer by changing the measles virus into a
useful tool. The next set of scenes indicates that the
virus Emma Thompson created had apparently morphed
into a deadly virus that turned the 1009 people who
were part of her clinical trials-and who they believed
had been cured of cancer-into wild, crazy, rabid like
creatures that had lost all their humanity.
The movie is really very good and presents an
interesting plot. The movie is set in NYC and Smith
spends the entire movie in NYC on the borough of
Manhattan. I do not know how they managed to make
Manhattan look as desolate and over grown as they did.
The city that never sleeps couldn’t possibly have
taken a break so long to let Smith and the movie crew
shoot in Times Square, the south side seaport and on
the Intrepid, but it looks just like Smith is living
alone in Manhattan. I was amazed by the footage and
impressed as well as it seems so real. Also, Smith is
the only human actor-not meaning to ignore the acting
ability of Samantha his dog-on screen for an hour or
more in this film. He portrays an ambitious, focused
and lonely scientist quite well. We also learn through
seeing Smith’s flashbacks much of what lead up to
where he is now and why things are the way they are.
Smith’s emotion also is obvious-but not over played-
as it leads him to his decision to avenge as best he
can the death of his best and only friend in the
movie. His acting also makes it clear why he chooses
to exit the movie as he does-to defend the cure he has
found and to leave it in the hands of those who have
hope for the world.
This is a good movie and one to see either in the
theater or on DVD at home later. Smith may have a
chance at an Oscar nomination with his performance,
but it may be difficult as there are other very good
performances that will compete for a nomination. Plus
this may be seen more as a sci-fi movie versus a drama
despite the emotion that is conveyed by Smith
throughout and how well he conveys his slowly losing
the ability to discern between reality and what may be
imagination. However you may view the film, as sci-fi
or as drama, it is one to see.
I Am Legend (2007)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0480249/
I Am Legend (2007) Yahoo! Movies
http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1809768369/info
I Am Legend
http://iamlegend.warnerbros.com/
Wednesday, December 19, 2007