Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Love Actually [2003]

I recall going to see this movie several times when it
was out in the theatres. I watched it on DVD for the
first time since it stopped its run in March of 2004.
I was genuinely pleased to watch this film again. If
I’m feeling down, depressed or alone this film picks
me up and gives me not only a laugh and smile but it
makes me think that if these people can find
love-despite being so screwed up at times-then perhaps
I still can too!

The movie follows several different characters or
couples through the five weeks before Christmas and
how their love life gets better or worse in this time.
Some of the more notable characters include Hugh
Grant-as the newly elected PM of the UK! Laura Linney
as the only American in her office and is desperately
in love with one of her co-workers. Alan Rickman as
the boss of the office Linney works in and is blind to
the fact that his secretary is making a move on him.
Colin Firth is an established author but a complete
looser in love-until he meets his Portuguese
house-keeper.  Liam Neeson plays a recently widowed
man who has to somehow make a connection with his
step-son and possibly bring Claudia Schiffer to the
funeral as his date! There are also cameo appearances
by several notable actors-though you do need to keep
your eyes open for a few of them-Billy Bob Thornton,
Denise Richards, Rowan Atkinson and Claudia Schiffer.

The movie is over two hours long but it’s never felt
that long to me. Perhaps it’s the writing and editing
that went in to making this film that keeps it moving
at such a steady pace that it makes the time pass
quickly.  Also I found myself getting wrapped up in
the lives of the characters to the point where when
the film did end I didn’t want it too. It has some
very good music that accompanies it and the Christmas
setting of the film couldn’t be a better time to view
this movie on DVD or even give it to someone you love
as a gift. I enjoyed this film immensely and enjoy it
more each time I see it. For anyone who considers
themselves a romantic at heart or who wants to share a
fun couple of hours with their loved one then consider
watching this film. You may find that love actually is
all around you afterward!
   
Love Actually [2003]
http://www.loveactually.com/

imdb.com-Love Actually
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0314331/combined

Tuesday, December 11, 2007