Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Lead in lipstick?

 What Are You Wearing?

Well I don’t wear lipstick, but this topic was brought to my attention this evening. I was visiting my parents and during dinner my mum brought up the topic of lead in lipstick. She had recently read a short article in parade magazine over the weekend and asked me to look in to it. I was quite surprised by what I’ve found in the online articles-such as, that the FDA has no real control over the ingredients in lipstick and cannot require a recall if dangerous materials are found in cosmetics-they can only request a manufacturer to recall the product. Additionally, several well known brand name cosmetics products are listed as having lead as an ingredient in their lipsticks. Any amount of lead is not necessarily a good thing for a person to have on their lips or any other part of their body as it may be absorbed through the skin and can then cause damage to the liver and brain.

Also the articles indicated that if small children are using these lipsticks that they may be more susceptible as their organs are undeveloped and the lead will cause more damage to their livers and possibly to their brains.

I encourage you to read the articles or to do your own research.
                           
ktvu.com-lead in lipstick
http://www.ktvu.com/health/14318167/detail.html#

safecosmetics.org
http://www.safecosmetics.org/

ktvu-San Francisco
http://www.ktvu.com/index.html

Wednesday, December 05, 2007