Wednesday, December 28, 2011

War v. Health-Care

War versus health care! I’m not so old that I can recall FDR or LBJ speaking to about how the government is here to help the people that live in this country, but I’ve read enough to recall that the government of the USA should be here to provide the opportunity for life and liberty for each of its citizens. To that end our current President seems to be forgetting that the littlest citizens need to be protected not only from the alleged terrorists that live over-seas but also from the not-so-alleged viruses and bacteria that cause infections and get people sick.
I usually prefer not to get involved in politics-no more than saying to anyone that you should be informed and be involved in the decisions of our country as much as you are able-but the most recent bill that our President has vetoed makes me realize that I too have a voice and need to stand up and say this is wrong. The President’s veto makes a mockery of his education doctrine of “No Child Left Behind”. While you may find it odd for me to make reference to this I think it’s very appropriate to invoke the President’s own words-and make him eat them in this blog. President Bush does not want to leave any child behind when it comes to education-so that our newest generation will be able to compete intellectually and educationally on the global market, but when it comes to caring for the youngest members of this country when they get sick? Well they’re on their own!
Last week the President vetoed a bill that would have provided monies for the poorest and some not so poor families to have health care. Instead of spending some 35 Billion dollars on this bill, he did spend nearly One-Trillion dollars on the next years Iraq occupation budget.
One trillion for Iraq and nothing for children’s health-care.
That seems fair doesn’t it?
After all I’m sure the rest of the world won’t think anything of our being a spend thrift country ready to go to war and support that over-seas effort for years while seeming to ignore the needs of children who cannot provide for themselves.
The President blames congress for this mess. He’s saying that they were not willing to compromise and that they sent the bill to him too late. Congress is trying to mount an over ride of the veto and is working to get the necessary votes.
Why not simply eliminate the necessity of choosing between the war effort and everything else that the country appears to need-education, health care, homes, jobs-by spending the money for Iraq here in the US.
I do not suggest that we leave the troops high and dry. I do propose that our taxes could be spent in a better way-for our own country and for our own future. Not the future that President Bush apparently sees-where we are sending all the young men and women over to the Middle-East for years to come, but one where they don’t’ have to join the Armed services to receive health care.

Democrats begin push to override veto
http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/10/03/bush.veto/index.html

Bush Vetoes Health Measure - washingtonpost.com-10/04/07
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/10/03/AR2007100300116.html

BBC NEWS-Bush veto for child health bill
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7026454.stm

Press Conference by the President-09/20/07
http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2007/09/20070920-2.html

Tuesday October 9th, 2007