I’ve wanted to see the latest Harry Potter film since it came out his past summer. I finally accomplished this task this afternoon. While I’d read reviews online from the big named critics-the ones we see on TV-I wanted to make up my own mind about the film. What I had previously heard was that it was much darker than previous films and that it didn’t have enough magic-enough special effects- because it was centering on how Harry had to deal with the dark forces not only rising against the world but that might be in himself.
These critics were correct in that it has a darker tone than previous films. It does have less magic and special effects than previous films. None of this takes away from the film itself. The time is used in character development and drama versus simple special effects that may wow us.
It reminded me in some ways of the last Star Wars film Revenge of the Sith. It has our main character trying to defeat evil-the darkness that threatens to overcome and destroy the society that we know.-as well as the threat to destroy our main character-our hero-who we’ve come to know.
There are many good scenes but one of my favorites is when Gary Oldman-who plays Sirius-tells Harry that there is usually not so clear-cut a thing as black or white, good and bad, as each of us has some of both in us, and it’s how we choose to act that defines us. We all may have dark, bad or even evil thoughts at times in our lives, but “who we are” is defined not simply from our thoughts but also from our actions. Additionally-there is a scene with Evanna Lynch-who plays Luna Lovegood-where she tells Harry that most people tend to stay away from things-or people-that they find strange. I think this is a great scene because even though it generalizes people it also points towards our desire to maintain the status quo.
Hogwarts School also faces a slight governmental challenge in this movie. Much like our present day government in the USA Harry and his piers are asked to just tote the party line and do as they are told! Don’t ask any questions. Don’t dissent.
I couldn’t help thinking that the new professor of the dark arts could have been previously been working for the Bush Administration.
There are several good cameo performances by actors Emma Thompson, Helena Bonham Carter, Ralph Fiennes.-along with the previously seen actors; such as, Maggie Smith and Alan Rickman.
The film is nearly two and one-half hours in length but moves very quickly and doesn’t seem to be that long. If you’ve not seen this yet I definitely suggest viewing it before it goes off screen, but seeing it on DVD would also be a good choice.
Harry Potter - The Official Site
http://harrypotter.warnerbros.com/
J.K.Rowling Official Site
http://www.jkrowling.com/
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (2007)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0373889/
Tuesday October 9th, 2007