I watched a PBS Frontline documentary last night [10/23/2007] on the political and military atmosphere of Iran and the US. It was very informative. I hadn’t realized that in 2003 just after President Bush had declared victory in Iraq that there was an attempt at a political resolution and political peace that was initiated by reformist politicians in Iran. The reformers in Iran had apparently received approval by the hard-line leaders to attempt a peaceful accord between the US and Iran. At the time President Bush apparently felt so confident in the US position in Iraq that he ignored the offer and never spoke with Iran.
I wonder if history will look back and say-how foolish you were Mr. President.
I know that I’m saying it. The US is stuck in the middle of a political and military civil war in Iraq and unable to extricate itself. Many young soldiers are dying on the other side of the world each month-each day-and I wonder how this is keeping the US safer? Isn’t peace with other countries, a working political accord-a dialogue-something that will keep this country safe? Isn’t ignoring that to go your own way and do as you want, regardless of how it affects others, reckless and ignorant of the ways of the world-as well as simply childish? Like pushing all the other kids out of the sand-box because you want to play alone? I can imagine that eventually you will either have no friends, or the kids on the play ground will band together to beat up the bully. In this scenario I’m envisioning the US as the bully. Unfortunately I think that many people and nations are viewing the US as the bully. Instead of being the world’s police officer and
peace keeper-even moral leader-we are becoming the world’s bully. President Bush has said it in press conferences before-either you’re with us, or against us! I find that to be a short sighted statement.
Many people in the Middle-East have been to the US to study and learn about the west-earning college and university degrees and then going home to better their own country. They are the leaders of today, and they no longer appear to be interested in learning or talking with the west. Yet what I find sad is that they are similar to all of us in the west. They grow up, go to school, work, have a family and worry about how to pay their bills and take care of themselves and their loved ones. From those I’ve talked with who are from the Middle-East as well as reading books that have been written by those from Iran and Iraq about their life their I believe that their lives are very different, and much the same as ours.
History has its moments-both good and bad. September 3rd, 1939 when Germany invaded Poland. June 6th, 1945 the Allied forces invasion of Normandy. September 11th, 2001 the destruction of the twin towers in NYC. I wonder if may 2003 will go down as a date that could have prevented a more disastrous date in the future.
FRONTLINE: showdown with Iran
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/showdown/
FRONTLINE: home | PBS
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/
frontline: History of US/Iran relations
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/tehran/
Wednesday, October 24, 2007
I wonder if history will look back and say-how foolish you were Mr. President.
I know that I’m saying it. The US is stuck in the middle of a political and military civil war in Iraq and unable to extricate itself. Many young soldiers are dying on the other side of the world each month-each day-and I wonder how this is keeping the US safer? Isn’t peace with other countries, a working political accord-a dialogue-something that will keep this country safe? Isn’t ignoring that to go your own way and do as you want, regardless of how it affects others, reckless and ignorant of the ways of the world-as well as simply childish? Like pushing all the other kids out of the sand-box because you want to play alone? I can imagine that eventually you will either have no friends, or the kids on the play ground will band together to beat up the bully. In this scenario I’m envisioning the US as the bully. Unfortunately I think that many people and nations are viewing the US as the bully. Instead of being the world’s police officer and
peace keeper-even moral leader-we are becoming the world’s bully. President Bush has said it in press conferences before-either you’re with us, or against us! I find that to be a short sighted statement.
Many people in the Middle-East have been to the US to study and learn about the west-earning college and university degrees and then going home to better their own country. They are the leaders of today, and they no longer appear to be interested in learning or talking with the west. Yet what I find sad is that they are similar to all of us in the west. They grow up, go to school, work, have a family and worry about how to pay their bills and take care of themselves and their loved ones. From those I’ve talked with who are from the Middle-East as well as reading books that have been written by those from Iran and Iraq about their life their I believe that their lives are very different, and much the same as ours.
History has its moments-both good and bad. September 3rd, 1939 when Germany invaded Poland. June 6th, 1945 the Allied forces invasion of Normandy. September 11th, 2001 the destruction of the twin towers in NYC. I wonder if may 2003 will go down as a date that could have prevented a more disastrous date in the future.
FRONTLINE: showdown with Iran
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/showdown/
FRONTLINE: home | PBS
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/
frontline: History of US/Iran relations
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/tehran/
Wednesday, October 24, 2007