I’ve been reflecting on many of the films I’ve seen over the years. I’ve written about movies I’ve seen in the theater, cable and television. I was considering that I’ve seen a few Kevin Smith films and Chasing Amy is one of those films that Smith seems to have gotten right-along with Clerks and Clerks II.
I saw this film when it came out in 1997. I was in graduate school and living half-way-across the country from the home that I knew well. The difference between the Brooklyn and the five burroughs-where I grew up-and Chicago-where I went to grad school is vast. The difference between someone who watches The Sound of Music and Chasing Amy would be on par with that vastness! To be blunt-this film is not for the faint of heart or anyone who can’t stand to ask tough questions or listen to the answers given-regardless of whether those answers are correct or not. To be honest I don’t believe the questions being asked have correct answers. I believe they are questions that we all must ask and answer for ourselves and as such the only right answer is the one that is true and right for yourself.
Smith deals with the question of gender roles as well as gender stereo-typing.
The lead female actor-played by Joey Lauren Adams-states in the film, “why should I limit myself to just men? Why eliminate half of the possibilities out there from the start when I’m looking for that right person?”
The film also stars Ben Affleck, Jason Lee [better known for his reoccurring role as Earl on My Name is Earl-and Jason Mewes-along with a small role for Matt Damon.
It is not the Hollywood version of “let’s ask questions about appropriate gender roles!” It does not have a happy ending. But it does have a realistic ending based on the characters that we get to know.
Life is not an easy think to endure and experience, why should a relationship be any easier? And this movie portrays life and relationships with an accuracy that many people would like to ignore. It’s a good movie to see and reflect on as it asks questions that most of us wouldn’t think to ask-let alone want the answers too. Kevin Smith wrote and directed a fine film with Chasing Amy.
Chasing Amy
http://viewaskew.com/chasingamy/
Chasing Amy (1997)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118842/
Wednesday October 17th, 2007