I saw this movie this evening and was pleased to see it. I’ve actually seen this movie a few times this summer now-I went and saw it when it was first released in June and now it’s playing again at the second run theaters here in town. I’ve enjoyed two of the three Oceans movies. The first one I thought was really very good. The large number of big name stars could easily have made the movie a drama-queens nightmare, with each star trying to grab the spotlight, but it was a very good film, and despite being a remake it had some twists in it that I had not expected and made it worth seeing.
The second film-Oceans 23-was less fun to view. I remember seeing Oceans 11 on TV the night before and 12 was playing so the next night I went and saw it. I was surprised by the European venue of the film, and the plot was an interesting twist, but the ending made the movie seem like it was put together for the actors to reunite and have fun rather than make an enjoyable film for the audience to view.
The 3rd in the series-Oceans 13-falls short of the excitement and cinema grandeur of the first film, but it also exceeds the boredom I have when I watch the 2nd one on DVD. The 3rd film brings each of the major 12 from the 2nd movie back. It’s a revenge film-done Vegas style! Danny Ocean and Rusty have to bring everyone together and keep them on track to bring down a brand new casino. The new casino-hotel is a very large and gaudy looking structure on the strip. The new owner-played by Al Pacino-has wronged one of the original 11 and the rest of the crew come to take him down. Despite the feeling that they will somehow succeed in doing this-because after all the 11 are the good guys-there are several speed bumps, or holes they have to get through and climb out of-including the former Terry Benedict-played by Andy Garcia-who wanted them all dead in the previous film. Truthfully he probably still does want them dead!
The film is enjoyable and if you enjoyed the first one, then I’d suggest seeing or renting this one.
Oceans 13 [2007]
http://oceans13.warnerbros.com/
oceans12
http://oceans12.warnerbros.com/static.html
Oceans 11
http://oceans11.warnerbros.com/cmp/main.html
Friday September 14th, 2007