PBS-Nature-Skunks the Misunderstood Mammal
Have you ever seen a skunk up close? Most likely we’ve all smelled them when they’ve been near bye and were threatened. That unmistakable smell they make is obnoxious and incredibly hard if not impossible to get out of your dog when they decide that they just have to investigate what that black and white thing is running around in the bushes!
I’ve never met a skunk myself, but I’ve never had reason to be afraid of them either, and a recent PBS-Nature program reinforces that idea. Skunks are inquisitive and independent mammals that are a bit nocturnal and also don’t’ fear dogs or humans-or many animals. They’re natural enemies are the owl and the motorized vehicle. Lest you think I’m joking think of the last time you smelled a skunk or saw one. It was probably on the side of the road as road kill and if you smelled its pungent aroma it was probably for a short time as you were driving down a county road or driving home-for those of you who live in more rural areas.
The skunk may very well be completely misunderstood. Humans have them as pets-granted most of the time their scent glands are removed prior to being placed in a home-and the gladly take food from humans and walk around us if we’re sitting in the park. They squirt their noxious liquid as a last and best defense when they are cornered or scared.
I not only learned a lot from the Nature Video but found it fun to watch as well. I’d highly recommend it to anyone interested in learning more about the independent and inquisitive skunk!
PBS Video-Skunks! March 2010
http://video.pbs.org/video/1168758029
PBS-Nature-Skunks! March 2010
http://www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/episodes/is-that-skunk/introduction/4514/
Tuesday, March 09, 2010