Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Surrogates-Willis' Latest Movie [2009]

Surrogates [2009]

A few weeks ago I went and saw the latest Bruce Willis movie entitled Surrogates. Set some time in the future where nearly everyone in the US works, plays and experiences their life through an android body. It’s an interesting plot, and Willis plays an interesting character. He is an FBI agent and his surrogate is 20 years his younger but is based on his physical features. We see a young Willis running around the city after a killer.

The movie presents us with an interesting future. Where no one is homeless, out of work and crime is nearly gone-all because of these surrogates! Everyone has one and everyone can look as handsome or as beautiful as they can afford to look by manufactured means. They look gorgeous and can feel everything that their surrogate does. So they can go out and literally jump out of a plane without a parachute, all because their surrogate will be destroyed but they won’t be!

But we find that there is a problem when a military weapon is stolen that can destroy not only the surrogate but the human connected to it as well. This is where Willis comes in and must find out who it is that is trying to kill the inventor and owner of the company that manufactures the surrogates. Willis finds that he not only must determine who is working against him, but who really is who. As a surrogate can have more than one person who uses it Willis finds that he’s not only in a who-dun-it mystery, but also a who-is-it on that other side of that surrogate!

The ending is not one I had expected and for that I give the writers a thumbs-up in their creativity. The idea of surrogates for everyone is sci-fi to say the least but also a world in which I’d rather not live. Walking around and not having any real interaction with a human being. Where the person I may touch or hug is simply an android and while I might feel the sensation there is still no real physical or human interaction. I’m glad this is sci-fi and not anything that science is actually working to produce.

Surrogates-imdb.com
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0986263/

Surrogates-Official Website
http://www.chooseyoursurrogate.com/

Wednesday, October 28, 2009