The Detroit Lions have started their 2009 season the way they started their 2008 season. For that matter they have started the season the way they ended last season and the way they have played the last 19 games. They Lost!
The Lions are 1 and 25 in their last season and a half and so far the press is talking about how the rookies are playing well and how they improved over last week-their first week in the NFL. But I think most of us fans who have been watching the Lions play for many years are more interested in seeing the Lions start winning. An 8 – 8 season this year would be like winning the super bowl! We’ve not seen the latter and who knows if we’re see the former in the near future.
There are things that surprised me about today’s game-first, that it was even televised! After last seasons lack of performance, lack of wins and lack of anything positive I expected none of the home games to be televised. So I was happily surprised that I could watch the game in the comfort of my home earlier today. Brett Favre’s continued ability to play-at such an old age for a football player-surprised me and that he played as well as he did. I had hoped that the Lions would win, not simply because EVERY Lions fan has been waiting for a win for nearly two years now, but because this was an inter-conference rivalry, and a chance to win at home as well as a chance to put Brett Favre in his place.
No matter what might have gone well for the Lions today they still lost.
Minnesota-Detroit Week #2
http://sports-ak.espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=290920008
Monday, September 21, 2009