Monday, December 8, 2008

Quantum of Solace [2008]

I’ve seen the newest Bond film a few times. I was excited to see it when it first came out and my first impression was that it was similar, but different than the first film that was released two years ago with Daniel Craig as the latest 007. This film begins practically right where the last left off. Bond has taken Mr. White in to custody and is delivering him to M for questioning, but from here the story leads off in to new directions.

We learn that the organization that Mr. White works for is everywhere and that point is punctuated early on in the film. We also see a return of Felix Lighter-with the same actor Jeffrey Wright playing him thankfully! He adds a certain cynicism to the film that seems needed and that it’s played by an American CIA agent in the film seems appropriate, since the US does have a few problems with intelligence currently.

The film moves quickly and the pace is fast. If we were running a marathon this would be a 2:45 pace at least! I also enjoyed the opening song “Another Way to Die”-sung by Alicia Keyes and Jack White. If you enjoy the opening music I highly suggest visiting the official web site at 007.com and view the video while it is available. It is very good and the main motif recurs enough to become lodged in your head! The main female character that Bond early on becomes a pseudo-guardian for is the character Camille-played by Olga Kurylenko-who also played in “The Hitman” [2007] and while I realize she may be considered a beauty by some she left a great deal to be desired by me if she was to be the main attraction for Bond’s affections. However, the film did produce a very attractive woman for Bond to seduce by the name of Strawberry Fields. I’m a Beatles fan and get the reference here with the Red haired British beauty. She is stunning with her alabaster skin, straight red hair and pretty figure. Gemma Arterton plays Ms. Fields and was in the recent release “RocknRolla”

The film has many good parts and is a good continuation of the series. I look forward to the next production and release of a Bond film with Daniel Craig-whenever that may be.

Bond Official Web Site
http://www.007.com/

Quantum of Solace on imdb.com
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0830515/

Monday, December 08, 2008