Michigan has become the team I never thought they would become. When I was young and would watch the Michigan v. OSU game it seemed like it was always the game that decided who would be big ten champions, who would go to the rose bowl. Bo Schembechler ALWAYS told us the we were playing for the big ten championship. When I was younger-before entering college-I hoped we'd go for the national title someday, and in 1998 I saw my dreams cone true on a late January evening in Chicago. I watched alone from my dorm room in grad school as Michigan beat Washington State and took the national championship.
Since that day it feels like Michigan has died a little bit more with each game they've played and this season has been the final chapter to the long slow death we've been experiencing!
So many of us did complain the last couple of seasons with the outcomes of the games and the losses and how coach Carr seemed to have lost the fire that he had when he first took over as head coach so many years ago. But with coach Carr we had a link to the past-a tie to coach Schembechler-and with that tie we had a reminder of the past and we were stronger for it, because we could run the ball, we could pass the ball and we won the games by playing hard and remembering we were playing to win-to win for Michigan.
With coach Carr gone we've lost that tie to the past. We've forgotten how to play football and lost the Michigan way. We've forgotten why were out there-not simply to win, but to win for Michigan, to play for Michigan and to represent Michigan!
With those thoughts going through my mind Michigan found a way to loose to Purdue last Saturday-42 to 48.
Michigan 42 Purdue 48 November 2008
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=283062509
Wednesday November 5th, 2008